5.31.2013

Romans 2

I love how the second chapter opens. It's nothing but tough love and the harsh truth. 

The people mentioned in chapter 1 are referred to as being in a dark spiral downward. But we that are not viciously backstabbing, cheating, murdering and sodomizing are no better than they if we choose to point our fingers and judge them. "Every time you criticize someone, you condemn yourself." My first thought is of the radical group of people who bombarded campus each year with 6ft tall banners of aborted fetuses and shouted "whore" at girls who walked by in shorts. Then I thought about how mayoral campaigns have been going on in MS and rather than celebrate the morals of the candidates, many of the debates have gotten nasty and been spent criticizing one another's platforms and agendas. And then I thought about how I log into Facebook each day and roll my eyes at statuses and pictures people put out there...because I'm judging them. Maybe I should reach out to my "friends" who are spiraling downward rather than criticize their social media posts (or actions that prompt them).

It is comforting to know that our God is a loving Father who carefully corrects his children. "In kindness He takes us firmly by the hand and leads us into a radical life-change" I find a lot of comfort in knowing that as long He has a firm grip on me I won't spiral off into darkness. And when I do start to deviate from the path he will take me firmly by the hand and lead me in the direction I'm supposed to go. 

The end of the chapter was interesting. You always hear that sin is human nature, but it talked about outsiders who had never heard of God's law following it out of instinct. Like following God's law is also some innate desire, and by following it without being told confirms its truth. God really has equipped us with all we need to thrive and follow Him, we just have to trust that. And when we don't, He'll take our hand and get us on the right track.

God my God,
Thank you for giving me the desire to follow you. I pray you will help me to focus my attention on you and not attempt to distract you with my criticism of others. Thank you for always loving me even if it is tough love.
In your name, Amen.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment